Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to Him, both now and forever! -2 Peter 3:18

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ernie



I have delayed this post for awhile now, but wanted to give a little update on our dog, Ernie.  Brian and I got Ernie when we moved into our house back in the fall of 2007.  He was the sweetest little thing, and we loved him to death but he had some anxiety issues that made having people over very stressful.  He was the perfect dog when it was just our little family at home, but the second a new person was introduced into the equation, he went crazy!  It was something we were able to work with, but fast forward 4 years plus the addition of two kids, and he was just too much to handle.  His anxiety seemed to worsen when Luke came into the picture, and then again with Audrey.  We hired a trainer and really tried to make it work, but in the end, we just couldn't give Ernie the attention he needed and decided to find him a new home.  We were very torn about this, and really didn't want to take him to a shelter or anything like that. 

I tried for several months to find him a new home without any luck, and then we found out that the in laws from a friend at church were interested in him.  They happened to be in town that weekend and wanted to see him.  We actually were at the lake at the time, but luckily had left Ernie with Brian's parents.  (I really see this as a blessing from God, because it was the ONLY time in four years that we had not brought him to the lake with us).  Well, they came to see him, decided they loved him, and ended up taking him right then and there.  We didn't get to say an official goodbye, but in the end, I think that made it easier.  This family had 2 dogs and were big time dog lovers, we were so excited!  Coming home to a dog free house was very weird, but as the week went by, it was apparent how much calmer our house had become.  The decision to find him a new home was the right one.  

Ernie had been gone for one week and I got a call...things weren't going so well.  I guess the pack order was all messed up and fights were breaking out.  They just couldn't keep him.  He was 6 hours away, and we couldn't take him back, so they were going to find him a new home.  This just broke my heart because we loved him and wanted him to be happy.  I know he is just a dog, and I did have that in perspective, but he was such a big part of our family for 4 years, that it was sad thinking that he wouldn't have a good life.  I prayed that they could find him a good home, and lo and behold, 2 days later I got a call that a retired couple's dog had just passed away, and they wanted Ernie!  He would be their only dog, and they could give him tons of attention.  We were beyond excited and so thankful. 

I know that in the scheme of life this is not a big deal, but I do think that God had a hand in this, because everything just worked out so perfectly.  Sometimes we think that God doesn't have time for the little stuff in life, but I really think this is an example of Him taking care of me, my emotions and our family by working through this situation.        

I recently got an update on Ernie, and he is doing great.  He lives in a small town in Oklahoma, and apparently his owners go to "the cafe" almost daily, and bring their leftovers for him. =)  It sounds like he is a spoiled little guy that is living the doggie dream!      

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda... I am so glad to hear that this all worked out so well. I would have felt the same way. Our Penny has quite a bit of "new" person anxiety and there have been times I have wanted to get rid of her too...luckily it has gotten better lately. So glad Ernie is happy and you can feel good about his move :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me sad Amanda, but totally understand and I am so glad that Ernie has found a good home where he can relax and be the "baby" again. Cotton doesn't have the anxiety, but man the pups become more of a hassle and burden when kiddos are small. I hate I feel that way, bc I love her, but she's just "one more thing" to deal with.

    ReplyDelete