Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to Him, both now and forever! -2 Peter 3:18

Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Pepaw


My sweet Pepaw went home to be with the Lord on June 22, 2012.  He was a young 73 years old.  In January of 2007, he had a massive stroke and has been pretty much bed ridden for the past 5 and a half years.  Prior to the stroke he was full of life, walking several miles a day, and just as goofy as can be.  We are so thankful that he is at peace now and no longer suffering, but it has been hard for everyone, as he was such a light in all of our lives. 

Two days before he passed, my sister and I were able to say our final goodbye to our sweet Pepaw. It will be a memory I will carry for the rest of my life. He said our names, said "I love you," and squeezed our hands with his strong right arm. There was laughter and there was tears. He was very anxious the majority of our stay, and Ali started to sing to him. She sang, "It is Well With My Soul" and he instantly calmed and closed his eyes. She captured this picture of him holding her hand and I will treasure it forever.


On Monday we traveled to Austin for his funeral and it couldn't have gone better.  Here is his first great-grandson wearing with pride a "Neptune" shirt, while listening to stories about his great-grandfather. 



The service was beautiful, he was truly honored, and I got a chance to see a mere hint of all the lives he touched.  My mother, Aunt, and all six grandchildren gave part of the eulogy, and I would like to share my part. 

My Pepaw was an amazing man. Not only did he touch numerous lives, but he was also a man of God, who loved Jesus with all his heart. His accomplishments were numerous, but what I remember most, is what a truly amazing grandfather he was. I always felt so special being introduced as Ebbie Neptune's granddaughter. It was amazing to see how he touched people, and with all the love he gave everyone else, the school, and athletics, he gave 10x that much to us. He was at every event, and always let us know we were his world.

It is hard to imagine this world without him, and I will work hard to teach my children about their one of a kind great grandfather. He would have just loved them to death! Just yesterday, out of the blue, without any prompting, my 2 year old started singing "ooo eeee ooo ah ah", a Pepaw classic.  I'm sure this was his way of reminding us that he will always be with us.

I know his legacy will live on, and I feel peace that he is free now in the arms of our Lord.

I also want to say something about my sweet Memaw. She stood by him day in an day out for the past 5 years and was a beautiful example of a loving and devoted wife. Thank you Memaw, for taking such good care of my Pepaw.


Pepaw, you will be missed more than you know.  I love you so much, and thank you for being my grandpa.  I am so happy for you right now, and know I will get to see you again.  Dang, you were one handsome fella!

3 comments:

  1. Amanda - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather! I had no idea you were "Ebbie Neptune's granddaughter"...as a Westlake alum, I think that is really cool :). And if I'm not mistaken, the gym in the picture above is where I spent many a mornings during dance team practice in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post, Amanda! So sorry for your loss, but so happy that he's not in pain anymore. He sounds like a remarkable man, and I know you will always treasure your sweet memories of him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, now I'm crying. Beautiful post, love the pictures and am so glad for him to be at peace with God, but sad for all of you who will miss him while you are here.

    ReplyDelete