Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to Him, both now and forever! -2 Peter 3:18

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Ultrasound Update

Just wanted to include an update from the ultrasound we had on Monday.  I went to the doctor today to get the full report, and she informed us that they did note a choroid plexus cyst on the brain.  At first I was very taken aback, because, for one I had no idea what this was, and also because so far I have been extremely blessed and have never had any complications or anything come up with any of my pregnancies.  The doctor is not concerned at all.  She states that this is extremely common and in 16 years she has always seen them just go away at the next ultrasound.  Sooo... I will see a Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) doctor in about three weeks for a super high tech ultrasound.

I left the office a bit nervous today, and of course hit google the minute I walked in the door.  What I learned is the scary part in all this is that a cyst like this is weakly linked to Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18.  Yikes!  The good news is, that since I am under 35, and there were no other abnormalities noted on the ultrasound, the likelihood of this meaning anything is extremely low.  In addition, I had an early screening scan (NT) at 13 weeks that did not show any increased risk for these conditions.  I also read countless threads of women who had this cyst on ultrasound and went back in for the next one and the cyst was completely gone and they all had healthy babies. 

Overall, this is a bit scary, but we know it is all in God's control  We have been praying, and will continue to pray to Him for clear results at the next ultrasound.  Brian and I feel at peace with it, and know God will be with us regardless of what happens, although we are very optimistic that everything will be fine.  Extra prayers on our behalf are always appreciated!  We will keep everyone updated as soon as we have the next ultrasound.  God is good!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you, Brian, and the baby! Like you said, God is good. I am confident all will be well! Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's always scary to hear anything 'abnormal' on sonogram. I'll be keeping you and baby #3 in my prayers! On the plus side, the sonos with the peris are really fun :)

    ReplyDelete