Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to Him, both now and forever! -2 Peter 3:18

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Joys of Potty Training



Audrey is officially potty trained.....well sort of!  I had no expectations at all of potty training her before the baby.  She is not even two yet, and Luke was not potty trained until about 2 years and 9 or 10 months old.  He just wasn't having it.  I never dreamed that I would be able to train a 1 year old, but this girl started showing signs she was ready, and drove me crazy in the process! 
 
A few weeks ago, she started taking all of her clothes off constantly.  She would rip her diaper off as well, and if we were home and I wasn't watching her like a hawk, I would turn around and clothes would be everywhere.  She even tried this at the grocery store, where I am sad to say, we lost a shoe. Very frustrating!  She would also want her diaper off if she even had one small pee in it, which was new for her.  Well, after a few frustrating weeks of this, I decided training her was worth a shot, but had very low expectations.  Here are some pre-potty training pics.
 
At Benjamin's house clothes were coming off as well!  
 

I caught her naked on her hands and knees cleaning up a puddle of pee.  Hey, at least she was trying to clean it up. :)


After many times of telling her to leave her clothes on, I find her again naked, and off to naked time out it is!


Enough was enough, so one morning I woke her up, put on the panties, and gave it a go.  She was so excited, and of course her brother had to be included as well. 


Day 1 was off to a slow start.  After pumping her with juice, she had been up for 3 hours and had still not gone.  No accidents, but nothing successful either.  I was determined to catch that first pee in the potty, so we spent a good part of the morning sitting on the toilet singing songs.  Finally, this girl went pee pee, and we were successful at getting it in the potty!  I was amazed, because honestly that was all it took.  She would pee maybe a few drips in her underwear, realize what was happening, stop herself and come to me, and finish in the potty.  It was amazing, and I take no credit for how easy it was, she just did it.  We stayed home for two days, and she continued with her success.  I went ahead and kept her in a diaper for naps and nighttime, but she was dry during the day. 

Here we are venturing out on day 3.  No accidents at the grocery store either!


I am happy to report that almost two weeks later she has kept it up, and even stayed dry at church.  Here is our little cutie in her new princess undies.


Now with all this success, I thought I was in the clear, but then I realized she is not poo pooing in the potty.  In fact, she is holding it and now cries if she has to poo poo and refuses to do it on the potty.  In fact, we have had several times where she has pooped in her panties, literally seconds after getting off the potty.  I'm a little concerned, as I don't want her holding it in and having constipation issues.  This is totally new territory for me, as Luke did both poo and pee training at one time.  If anyone has any poo poo tricks, please let me know! 

Overall, I am extremely thankful to have her mostly potty trained.  I never in a million years thought I wouldn't have 2 in diapers come September, so that is a huge blessing!  Now if we can just master the poo!

Nothing cuter than a little tushy in some Elmo panties!



5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Audrey! Being potty trained before age two is quite impressive :)
    Asher has pooped in his pants twice today! (Grrr...Just when I was bragging about how well he's doing!) And as you know, Nora learned to pee in the potty easily, but didn't poop in the potty for nine months after that! Hopefully Audrey won't take as long as Nora to get there! But here's my advice from a mom who's been in your shoes: Try to stay calm about it, and don't talk about it any more than necessary. When she poops in her panties, maybe say something like, "Ooh, that's yucky. We only poo poo in the potty or a diaper. Next time you need to poo poo please tell Mommy." And then offer her a diaper to poop in next time if she doesn't want to try on the potty. My pediatrician said some kids are scared to death of pooping in the potty (Nora definitely was), so it's not something you can force. But one day Audrey will decide on her own that she's ready. I pretty much quit talking about the issue, and one day right after Nora turned three, she suddenly decided to do it all on her own! However, in the meantime, I know you'll get sick and tired of her pooping in her panties! That's the one difference between our girls: Nora didn't poop in her panties. (She held it and cried until I put a diaper on her for nap or bedtime!) So, I do think it's okay to make it clear that pooping in panties is not okay and to see if you can get her to ask for a diaper to poop in. Maybe give her those two options: a diaper or the potty, but be firm that she is not to poop in her panties. And hopefully over time, she'll choose the potty! Good luck!!!
    (PS - Sorry that was so darn long!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Way to go Audrey! I don't think I have any advise to offer up. Potty training has been the least fun thing as far as parenting goes on my end. Kennedie was a nightmare to train. She still has some poop accidents in her panties every now and then. Kennedie loves fruit snacks, and I don't let her have them very often. They are soley a reward for pooping on the potty. She pretty much will poop only knowing she is getting the fruit snacks. So... I guess bribery?? Let me know if you get the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no pointers for the poop problem because both of my boys were successful and getting poop in the potty before pee and actually really like to poop on the potty (and describe it after...sick!).

    But, I do have to say that Audrey is so darn cute and he is adorable in her panties!!!

    ReplyDelete