Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to Him, both now and forever! -2 Peter 3:18

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Savannah's Birth Day!

The day of Savannah's birth was quite eventful!  I got a relatively good night of sleep, but was up by 4:30 just counting down the hours before my scheduled c-section.  Brian and I were so excited to get this show on the road, and find out if we were adding a little girl or little boy to the mix.  We had an elaborate plan on revealing the gender to everyone.  Brian was going to tell the kids first and then let them do the big reveal.  I had the day all planned out in my head, but.....things didn't quite turn out that way! 
 
When we got to the hospital we were suppose to be the first surgery of the day.  We ended up getting bumped back because a mom came in at 37 weeks pregnant, with high blood pressure, 9 cm dilated, and needing a repeat C-section.  I was fine with it, as I was obviously not in any distress, it just made for an anxious additional two hours.  Here we are killing time, waiting for our turn.  
 


Rebecca was so excited to meet her new cousin!


Brian was ready to go!  Right before we were about to get called back, he had mentioned that he was hungry.  I told him to go grab something really quick, but then all of the sudden there wasn't time...big mistake!


The beginning of the C-section was not very pleasant.  I was super anxious, and the spinal hurt more than it had in the past, on top of me feeling like I was going to throw up, and I felt lightheaded.  This did not happen with Audrey.  Things took a little longer to get started and my doctor mentioned that the OR was hotter than normal, so the AC needed to be turned up a bit.  By the time Brian was finally brought in, I was very emotional, feeling super nauseous, and not doing too well.  They finally pulled out Savannah, and Brian got to proudly announce that "It's a Girl!".  I was bawling my eyes out at this point.  I would have been over the moon with a boy, but was secretly hoping for a girl.  I love having a sister, and I am so excited I now have two little girls that get to experience this!  God truly blessed us with a healthy baby, but he also gave me my heart's desire.  There are no words! 

After Savannah was out and we took a look at her, they brought her over to the incubator.  Brian was sitting down at this point, and looking back, his coloring did not look that great.  The nurses told him to go see her, and I urged him as well.  Ummmm...mistake number 2!  He should have stayed put!  At this point the poor guy was starving, hot in all his OR garb, worried about me, and when he stood up he immediately passed out.  He watched Audrey's entire C-section without issues, so we don't think blood was the problem, but I don't think it helped either! 

All I remember was him getting up and then hearing a huge CRASH!  I couldn't see anything, and initially thought the nurse had tripped and dropped Savannah.  I then hear people gasping and my doctor asking "Is he breathing"!  What!  Is he breathing!?  What is going on!  

Apparently, he passed out and basically fell like a tree straight onto his face.  He was bleeding everywhere and then woke up very confused.  They got him a stretcher and had to take him to the ER.  This was all going on while I was getting stitched back up, and apparently the most critical time of the surgery.  I was able to see him for a few seconds before they took him to the ER.  All he said was, "Im sorry".  Poor guy, I didn't care, I just wanted him to be ok. 

After they wheeled him out, they brought my mom in, who apparently had no idea what had happened.  They just told her to get scrubs on.  It was chaotic to say the least!  I was soooo thankful my mom was able to be with me. 

Here I am with Dr. Halderman sans Brian. :(


Once in recovery, I was able to talk to Brian on the phone.  He definitely had a concussion, needed stitches, but his EKG and head CT were fine.  Praise the Lord!  As bad as it was, it could have been soooo much worse, so I am thankful we now have a funny story to tell instead of one ending with more serious complications.  It was also a blessing that both our families were there, and his mom was able to be in the ER with him. 

Now what about our plan??  Well that was all shot, so after it was apparent Brian wouldn't be coming up anytime soon, we decided to allow the family in.  I had no idea, but by that time everyone but our kids new it was a girl. Haha. 

They all got to meet sweet Savannah and the kids just love her.





Brian finally got released about 2 hours later and joined us upstairs.  He was fine at this point, but his cut was so bad that he needed to see a plastic surgeon and got about 35 stitches total.  If you recall, Luke had to go to the ER for eye stitches the night we brought Audrey home from the hospital, so apparently this must be our family trend.  I think we are done having kids, because it seems as if the injuries just escalate! :)

Luke and Audrey were fascinated by Daddy's boo boo.  Luke even said that when he has a baby, he will not be standing up to help, because he doesn't want to smash his face.  Haha!






The rest of the day was filled with joy and we had lots of visitors to share in this crazy day!







We sang Savannah "Happy Birthday"


Me and my girls!


Luke and Audrey consuming their fair share of cupcakes.


Sister kisses!


More Aunts and Uncles that came that night after work.

 

New cousins.


The rest of the hospital stay was very uneventful, thankfully!  We were definitely the talk of the hospital, and every nurse came in looking at Brain's head saying, "Oh you're the guy...".  Brian has been a great sport about it, and it is a funny story that I know we will be telling Savannah for years to come.  I see this story included in a wedding speech down the line.  :)

Here are some more pics from the hospital stay.

 
 
 






Time to go home!





Savannah is a wonderful baby, and obviously has tons of hair!  It is the most hair of any of our kids, and it sticks straight up!  It is also highlighted on the tips, and my mom has commented that it is "ombre", haha!   She is super sweet, hardly cries, and has been very laid back.  We are beyond blessed to add her to our family and praise God for this precious gift!

2 comments:

  1. yay!!! LOVE all the beautiful pictures you got! She is adorable and what a birth story!! Poor Brian to get 35 stitches! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun story! I'm so glad that Brian is okay and it wasn't worse. Savannah is absolutely a little doll! I may or may not have cried when I read your line, "God blessed us with a healthy baby but He also gave me my heart's desire." What a generous and mighty God we serve! Blessings to your beautiful family of 5!!

    ReplyDelete