Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to Him, both now and forever! -2 Peter 3:18

Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Sister

I just want to share something going on in our family right now and talk about my little sister for a minute.  Ali is 2 years younger than me, and was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in her early 20s.  Most people probably don't know what this is, but it is an autoimmune disease that affects your digestive system.  Basically, your intestines get very swollen and it causes lots of pain, among other issues.  She has been dealing with this for years, and about 6 years ago it got so bad that she had to have a colon resection.  They removed the diseased part of her colon because there wasn't much else they could do at that point.  She has been doing relatively well for the past several years, but things are starting to get worse again.  I can only imagine how difficult it is to take care of two tiny children, while feeling the way she does, day in and day out.  She was recently started on a new med where she has to give herself a shot 2 times per month, but this is not seeming to help.  She is scheduled for a scope in 2 weeks to really see what is going on.  Based off of what that says, she may have to switch to a new med that involves going to the hospital once a month for an infusion, or it may be apparent that she needs another surgery.

Right now we are just praying for answers, and that her doctor can make the best decision possible for her and that we can get her feeling better.  Her doctor is one of the top ones in Dallas, so we know she is in great hands. This is a lifelong process that Ali will always be dealing with.  That is so daunting for me to think about, and I am not even the one experiencing the pain.  God is the ultimate healer and nothing is impossible with Him.  Right now I am asking for prayers for complete healing for Ali, and for her to have energy to be the best mom she can be.  Any and all prayers are more than appreciated and I know God hears us, especially when we come together.  For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them -Matthew 18:20  

It would be really easy for Ali to be full of self pity and kind of shut down, but this is not the case.  Ali really has a great attitude about everything and is such an amazing mom.  She really puts on a brave face, and most people don't even know the struggles she has had to face.  She is definitely an inspiration, and through her faith she is proof that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13.         

5 comments:

  1. Your post has me teary-eyed. I think of Ali often and pray for her, but I didn't know she was doing worse lately. I am very sorry to hear that. I am so glad you posted this so that I can pray more specifically for her now. You are right - she is an inspiration and a wonderful mom! Love and hugs to your entire family. I know it is hard to see a loved one struggle with an ongoing medical issue. Your family is so strong, and you are all blessed to have each other and your faith in God to see you through the ups and downs as Ali lives (and suffers so well!) with this disease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh I had no idea! I will definitely be praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Ali is such a strong person and it amazes me how positive she is about EVERYTHING. Ali, you are without a doubt a rockstar Mom and

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an inspiration! Love you sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that Ali is having more complications again! Such a frustrating, painful and upsetting disease to deal with (and he deals with it beautifully). I'll be keeping her in my prayers more often now, for complete healing and life free from pain! Love to all of the Gibson gang!

    ReplyDelete